What To Expect
VISITING A NEW CHURCH: Visiting a new church for the first time can be a nervous experience. We’ve all been there before, and we want to make your first visit to Harmony as enjoyable as possible! Here are a few things you might want to know:
- CHURCH HISTORY: Harmony had its start over 100 years ago, on Lower Dawnville Road in Dalton Georgia. On August 29, 1890, a presbytery was called for the purpose of organizing a missionary Baptist church. The place of the meeting was a brush arbor near Mr. Berry Duckett’s home, somewhere between the place that the current building now stands, and the spring to the north of the church. Harmony was organized at this meeting with nine members. Our current church building was constructed in 1954 and was recently renovated.
- We are a COUNTRY CHURCH. Because of this, we are informal. The men at Harmony typically do not wear suits and ties. Some ladies wear dresses or skirts, and some wear slacks. We all try to dress comfortably. At Harmony, we come to church to study the Bible, and want to be relaxed while we do it. So, if you don’t have traditional “church clothes,” don’t worry!
- We are a BIBLE-BASED CHURCH. The central focus of our services is on studying the Word of God, verse by verse. We simply teach the Bible, simply.
- We won’t EMBARRASS YOU. We will not call on you to publically pray, sing, read Scripture, or any number of other embarrassing things. We will not force you to walk down the aisle at the end of the church service. Harmony is a friendly, traditional, country church. You will be our honored guest, and we will never make you do anything that you do not want to do!
- Our CONGREGATIONAL MUSIC is the traditional music of a country church. The choir sings songs from the “red book” and we strive to enjoy worship and to have fun as we praise the Lord through song. Modern music is often played before the service begins, and there is a blend of old and new. While we believe that church is primarily about studying God’s Word, if you particularly like an old-fashioned song service, you will find it a Harmony on Sunday morning and Sunday night!